The BUILD_ME project also aims to support the uptake of energy efficiency and renewable energy measures in ongoing building projects. The project team offers technical assistance to project developers in Egypt, Jordan, and Lebanon on integrating such measures in the early stages of select pilot projects. BUILD_ME’s work with pilot project fulfils multiple objectives:
- Demonstrate technical and financial feasibility of energy efficient buildings
- Better understand the barriers of implementing energy efficient buildings
- Communicate the lessons learnt from practice with policy dialogue
- Test the classification scheme (to be developed in the second half of 2020)
- Provide training for the staff implementing energy efficiency/renewable energy measures
At the conclusion of Phase II of the BUILD_ME project, a Summary Report was prepared outlining the selection process, the technical assistance provided by the BUILD_ME team, the results of a survey with project developers, the team's conclusions, and country stories. For our in-depth insights into the pilot projects, download the report below.
What we provide
The project team provides demand-driven technical assistance to project developers to help improve the overall energy performance of the buildings. Technical assistance could include the following:
- Integrative planning using tools like dynamic simulations (e.g. Trnsys, ISO 52016)
- Economic analysis using tools that calculate economic indicators like payback period (PBP), internal rate of return (IRR), net present value (NPV), and weighted average cost of capital (WACC)
- Cost-benefit calculations
- Support with tender documents of energy efficiency products and renewable energy solutions (commissioning)
- Site supervision (ensuring proper implementation of energy efficiency/renewable energy measures)
- Consulting on possible financing opportunities and support when applying for the appropriate funds
Suitable pilot projects are identified using a three-step approach.
- The project team develops a long list of potential projects.
- The list is narrowed down to filter out the most relevant pilot projects.
- The top six pilot projects are selected based on an evaluation matrix.
Principles of support
To benefit from the technical assistance provided by BUILD_ME’s team of national and international experts, the project developer should agree to three principles:
- Providing the information required to execute their assessment, knowing that our experts will respect the confidentiality and sensitivity of their data.
- Agreeing that the project results will be disseminated, allowing their project to attract a wider regional audience.
- Receiving technical assistance at no cost to them, but not with financial compensation. Hardware is also not subsidised through the BUILD_ME project.