On 4-5 July 2018 the first regional workshop of the IKI project Accelerating 0-emission building sector ambitions in the MENA region (BUILD_ME) took place in Beirut, Lebanon and brought together over 100 stakeholders from across the region.
The BUILD_ME project focuses on increasing the use of energy efficient and renewable energy-based heating and cooling systems in the building sector, particularly in cities in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. In collaboration with different stakeholder groups, the BUILD_ME team identified drivers and barriers to the deployment of energy efficiency measures in the MENA region, as well as recommendations on how to overcome these barriers. The findings of the project, along with the recommendations were presented and discussed at the regional workshop.
The workshop had several objectives:
- Engage with ministries from the MENA region on project findings
- Present the project’s findings
- Show the impacts of efficient heating and cooling in the building sector
- Gather political views and support for policy recommendations
- Facilitate integration of project insights into Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) and national action plans
- Raise awareness about the benefits of efficient heating and cooling in the building sector at all levels
The workshop’s agenda can be found here. The links below contain the speakers’ presentations: